Monday, January 31, 2011

Something besides my kids...

My blog has become something of a journal for my family's life experiences, which is all good...however, I just got creative and decided from this point on (because I really don't want to re-cap my books of even the past 6 months, there are several...) I will write a "shpeal" about my recent readings. I will try my hardest to not give anything away however. I am happy to start off with The Help. It is a great book I have already leant to a couple friends and heard a lot about. On Goodreads I gave this 5 stars. I didn't know what to expect, but I really loved learning about the south in the 1960's and the views of colored "Help." We are all routing for the 3 main characters, and can relate to all of them in some way big or small. I loved hearing the stories from the Helps' POV both good and bad. I am glad these days have passed us by however! WOW! My Mom read this, and being about the same age as Skeeter in the 60's, couldn't believe it was still this way in her youth. She had thought those discriminations had passed even while she was growing up. She did however grow up in Fresno. It was super fun having 3 view points that always changed things up and kept it exciting. If they do this right and make a movie it could be an Oscar winner. Great story for her first novel. I have to admit I wanted a maid so bad as I let my house got to crap because I couldn't put this down. PLUS... I used this cover for the inspiration for Audrey's new room.

No comments: